Certify > Develop > Connect > Advocate
An MBE is a Minority Business Enterprise. MBEs are companies owned by United States citizens who are Asian, Black, Hispanic or Native American. Ownership by minority individuals means the business is at least 51% owned by such individuals or, in the case of a publicly-owned business, at least 51% of the stock is owned by one or more such individuals-i.e., the management and daily operations are controlled by those minority group members.
- $300 - Gross sales are up to $1 million
- $475 - Gross sales are above $1 million but less than $5 million
- $625 - Gross sales are above $5 million but less than $10 million
- $800 - Gross sales are above $10 million
The application fee is non-refundable.
Benefits of becoming a Certified Minority Business Enterprise (MBE) include:
- Validation of MBE status
- Opportunities for Sales and Marketing
- Access to Mentor-Protégé Program
- Access to educational programs
- Business Advisory Services
- Financial assistance and support
- National/International market access
A Minority Business Enterprise (MBE) is an independent, for-profit enterprise, regardless of size, located in the United States or in one of its trust territories, which is owned and controlled by an ethnic minority. Minority ownership shall be deemed to be ownership of at least 51% of the company by citizens of the United States who are of one or more of the following ethnicities:
- African – A person having origins in any of the racial groups of sub-Saharan Africa (not Hispanic origin)
- Hispanic – A person of trueborn Hispanic heritage (trueborn meaning “authentically’’ or “genuinely” as per Webster), from any of the Spanish-speaking areas of the following regions: Mexico, Central America, South America and the Caribbean basin only.
- Native American – A person who is an American Indian. Eskimo, Aleut or Native Hawaiian, and is regarded as such by the community of which the person claims to be a part. Native Americans must be documented through a Native American Blood Degree Certificate.
- Asian-Pacific – A person whose origins are from Japan, China, Taiwan, Korea, Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, the Philippines, Samoa, Guam or the U.S. Trust Territories of the Pacific or the North Marianas.
- Asian-Indian – A person whose origins are from India, Pakistan or Bangladesh.
- The minority owner(s) shall enjoy the customary incidents of ownership and shall share in the risks and profits of entrepreneurship.
- The minority owner(s) must also possess the power to direct or cause the direction of the management and policies of the firm and shall possess the capability of making day-to-day as well as major decisions on matters of management, policy and the operations of the firm. All other criteria as stated in the NMSDC certification manual.
The Minority Business Enterprise (MBE) Subscription Services is an add-on that provides a multitude of value-added services for MBEs. The Subscription was created upon recognizing the need to help businesses make an even greater impact in the marketplace. MBEs are not required to purchase the Subscription Services.
|Technical Assistance Program (TAP) - 2 hours included||✔||✔|
|Industry Groups and Committees||✔||✔|
|RFPs and Business Leads/Alerts from Corporate Members||✔||✔|
|Loan and Bonding Program||✔||✔|
|Calendar of events||✔||✔|
|Access to educational workshops provided by Broward College||✔||✔|
|Listing in National and Local database with exposure to more than 3,500 local and national members||✔||✔|
|Access to Mentor Protégé Program||✔||✔|
|Technical Assistance Program (TAP) - 3 hours included||✔|
|Business Plan Assistance (2 hours and each additional hour at reduced rate)||✔|
|Business Advisory Services in areas such as marketing, social media, taxation, strategy alignment, efficiency, risk assessment and IT (2 hours and each additional hour at a reduced rate)||✔|
|Monthly Business Intelligence Report||✔|
|Priority in the Mentor-Protégé Program||✔|
|Priority to receive scholarships to Kellogg and Dartmouth||✔|
|Use of the FSMSDC Conference Room (Seats 10 with AV available)||✔|
|Letters of introduction||✔|
|International Trade Leads||✔|
|Spotlight or feature on website||✔|
|Copy of Webinar PowerPoint and handouts in a secure site||✔|
|5-10% Event Discounts||✔|
Subscription Services are valued at $5,000*
*with the Kellogg & Dartmouth Scholarship
Subscription Services Fees
|$300||Less than $1M|
|$400||Above $1M to $5M|
|$500||Above $5M to $10M|
Please note that certification and recertification fees are not included in the Subscription Services fees.Apply for Subscriber Services